The tips below apply to all pods kits, whether they use replacement pods or just replacement coils.
Using Orion DNA GO? We have a few more tips for the longest coil life possible. Check them out after the jump.
1) Don’t “dry fire.” Keep the tank at least a third full at all times, and make it a habit to check once in a while if there’s still enough liquid in it. This prevents burnout of the coil. Tip: For a two-chamber pod such as Suorin Drop, open all the refill caps after every few hours of use to let the chambers equalize in pressure and liquid content. This helps wick the coils efficiently.
2) Let it soak. On the first fill, let the pod/coil rest for a few minutes so that the wick will be well soaked before first use.
3) Puff prime. On first refill, take a few shallow puffs (3-5) without activating the device. If using a puff-to-use device such as Suorin Drop or Renova Zero, you can take a few puffs on the pod while it’s separate from the battery unit. This is puff priming, and it will speed up the soaking process; don't puff to deep though to prevent flooding the coil/pod.
4) Use lower VG liquids. Unless the pod or coil is designed for 70% VG liquids or more, using 40-60% VG liquids will generally ensure that the wick soaks up the liquid well. Remember, the less the VG content, the less thick the liquid. This means easy absorption.
5) Use less sweet, lighter colored liquids.The sweeter and darker the liquid, the more “gunk” or caramelized sugars and residue will build up on the coil or pod over time. Gunk will shorten pleasurable use of your coil or pod, tasting burnt and lowering flavor and vapor output.
6) Use the appropriate nic concentration for you. Make sure the nicotine concentration of your liquid matches your nicotine needs. The better it matches your nicotine needs, the less frequently you’ll use the device.
As a general rule, if you find yourself “chain vaping” (taking more than 5 puffs in succession per session), it is highly likely that the nicotine concentration of your liquid is too low for you. You end up consuming more liquid at a time in order to get the dosage you need to be satisfied. This is an important detail that's easy to take for granted: regardless of the nicotine concentration of your liquid, you will tend to vape in a manner that gives you the dosage of nicotine you actually need from it. You'll simply vape more frequently if your liquid's nic concentration is low.
Our recommendation: go up a level or two in nic concentration. You’ll use your device less frequently, and you’ll use up less liquid, too. You won’t just be saving on your spending on liquids; you’ll also be saving on your spend on coils/pods and power consumption. As a bonus, your vaping breaks will be shorter, and you’ll be able to do more with your free time. And if that’s not enough, consider this: you’ll be weaning yourself off the movement and oral habits (ie. hand-to-mouth) associated with both smoking and vaping.
Special tips for Orion DNA GO Kit users:
1) Use Replay Mode. Replay Mode is a special feature of your kit's DNA chip. When set, it locks in the Orion DNA Go's delivery of power to the pod to consistently deliver vapor similar to the last output you experienced before turning Replay on--hence the name. As a bonus, Lost Vape claims it helps prolong coil life and prevent dry burn.
For how to turn on Replay, check your manual.
2) Match liquids with Orion DNA GO replacement pods. Orion pods come in two variants--0.25ohm and 0.5ohm. The 0.25ohm is best used with freebase nic liquids up to 70% VG. The 0.5ohm is best used with salt nic liquids, usually at 50% VG or lower for the finest brands. Look under the Orion Go pod you're using to know which variant it is, and choose your liquids appropriately.
Tip: Our DNA Go Kits come with both 0.25ohm and 0.5ohm pods, with spares. Order yours here.
If you need help choosing the appropriate liquid and nicotine concentration for you, just shoot as a message. We’re here to help.